Thursday, July 11, 2013

Yummy Orange Chicken

Panda Express, watch out! I just made my own orange chicken tonight, and the entire family loved it! Tastier than take out, cheaper, and healthier too, plus it was a lot of fun. Try this recipe and enjoy!

Orange Chicken Recipe:
3 or more large chicken breasts cut in bite sized pieces
1 egg, beaten
small bowl of flour
small bowl of planko
olive oil

Salt and pepper meat then put in egg mixture and dredge through flour and planko. Fry in batches in really hot olive oil, browning on both sides. You may need to change the oil between each batch. Remove meat and drain on paper towels.

Cook the rice as you prepare the orange sauce. I made white long grain.

Cook in a sauce pan:
1 1/2 c water
1/2 c orange juice
1/2 c vinegar (I used white wine bc that's what I had)
1 c brown sugar, plus a bit more for taste
4 T soy sauce - a bit more or less for taste
1 tsp ground ginger
several shakes of garlic salt
several shakes of black pepper
Cayenne pepper to taste (I did 2 large pinches)
Several good shakes of gravy flour to thicken
2 spring onions, chopped
Cook to a consistency that is to your liking
(You can see I don't follow recipes exactly!)

Dump chicken back in and mix in with sauce. Cook for a few more minutes until it has the consistency you like. Sprinkle with a few more green onions and Serve with white rice. Enjoy!

No comments: