Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Cara McKim Seckman

Today our family and the East Cobb community made its final goodbye to an extraordinary young woman who our youngest child, Rachel, had the privilege of calling friend, confidant, spiritual cohort, cheer partner, and soul sister.

Cara was an intelligent academic who wasn't a snob in that she could put as much bravado in her Friday night cheerleading for the Walton Raiders as she could in her studies and her faith.

Her bible is a work of art, filled with notes and stickers and all kinds of messages that speak from the spiritual place where she now resides. Her old cheer shoes are marked with the reference to Philippians 4:13, a cross over the left toe, and the message on the heels to "don't quit" - do it (in bold). As I held her shoes today and perused her bible, I felt encouraged and "cheered on" by Cara to keep at it and work toward completing all the dreams the Lord has given me. I have so many. "Don't quit - do it!" I can hear her say. I learned a lot today from Cara.

Today I also had the privilege of hearing Cara's friends give us a peek into the secret part of her personality that parents of high school seniors aren't allowed to see unless by happenstance.

Rachel was one of many who shared. She spoke with much emotion, mainly sadness for the loss of her dear friend. Her words were poignant and heart-felt, delivered in a slow,  halting manner between wells of tears. Once she looked right at me, dividing the crowd with her gaze, seeking my help (I had offered to read her speech if needed), but all I felt the Lord would allow me to do is offer prayers for strength. This was something the Lord and Cara wanted Rachel to do. These were her words, her thoughts, and they needed to be delivered by her.

Bill and I are so proud of our daughter. In one brief moment, all fears of her surviving this world on her own without us parents disappeared. She will be just fine!

Good-bye, dear Cara. You tasted death, yet your life has not ended in death, as you are alive forevermore in Christ Jesus. You are a remarkable young lady. All of us wanted you here with us for much, much longer, but you are now completing your mission in your permanent home in the heavenly Jerusalem. All of us who are In Him will be seeing you soon and very soon!

No comments: