Monday, June 17, 2013

Dream House - Summer Memories

Several years ago, my parents built their dream house on the Inland Waterway in Cape Carteret, NC. It is a beautiful, modern retreat that resounds a peace and serenity that many of us crave. Our family enjoys going there, looking out onto the water and taking a quick boat ride.

Swansboro, Beaufort, and Morehead City aren't far away, all of which have much to offer in the way of entertainment, shopping, and good eating. Emerald Isle is very close - just across the big bridge - where there are more restaurants, shopping, a movie theater, and a wide, sandy beach. This is the beach where I grew up every summer from the time I was a young girl. My mother would pack up our wood panelled station wagon after the last day of school and off we would go to our ocean front cottage until school started again in August. Sadly, Dad sold the cottage years ago.

There wasn't much to do at the beach during that time, because much of it hadn't been developed (plus there was no cable TV and no VCR in those days!). Therefore, my sisters and I spent countless hours tanning, swimming in the ocean, reading, drawing, dreaming, and hunting for seashells. I would say that much of my love for story and creativity developed during those long, slow summers. I remember them fondly.

No comments: